Anyone can be "the family chef". You just need good recipes and techniques! Chef Amy Fothergill shares her best recipes with you for quick and easy dishes with an emphasis on gluten-free.

Get information here about her cookbook, The Warm Kitchen: Gluten-Free Recipes Anyone Can Make and Everyone Will Love.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Gluten-free crepe recipe

Sometimes I can be intimidated to cook certain foods, especially new gluten-free dishes. For some reason, I thought crepes would be similar to going into the chem lab. I'm happy to report it can be made just as easily as regular ones! But, my theory behind knowing how to cook, regardless of whether it's gluten-free or not, holds true. Technique is very important.

The recipe I used was from Gluten-Free Gobsmacked. I really like her simplicity and explanation of each step. See below for my version and additional instructions. Either way, great product.

I can't wait for my little girl to try them. She made some in camp this week but could only eat a bite as it was made with regular flour. While at camp, she also had a hamburger bun because she thought it was gluten-free; a bit of miscommunication. Poor thing was so itchy last night, it made me sad. Her gluten sensitivity comes out in her skin. I suppose it is this that motivates me to try things.

It's hard as a parent to deny your children something as simple as a crepe. If you have had to stop making crepes in the past, look no further! Enjoy.

Gluten-Free "Very Easy" Crepes

Makes 6 crepes in a 10" crepe pan (I would suggest doubling this recipe so you can make more at once)

2/3 cup milk (I would suggest whole)
1/3 cup (or 50g) cornstarch*
1 large egg
2 teaspoons olive oil or melted butter
pinch of salt
* to make a buckwheat style crepe, I use 1/2 cornstarch and 1/2 buckwheat flour

Directions:
  1. Place all ingredients in a blender and mix until combined.
  2. Add a drizzle of oil to the pan. Heat crepe pan to just over medium heat. This is a little tricky so don't be surprised if the first crepe isn't perfect.
  3. Lift the pan off of the heat and pour 2 tablespoons of batter into the pan while swirling the pan. I used a special crepe ladle which worked well. Swirl the pan off of the heat until the batter begins is covering the bottom. 
  4. Cook for 20-40 seconds or until the edges are browned and start to pull away from the side. If the crepe is not brown, you may need to raise the heat. A gas stove works very well for this.
  5. Using a spatula, lift one edge of the crepe and then flip it over with your fingers or tongs. Cook an additional 15-20 seconds.
  6. Repeat with remaining batter.
  7. Enjoy as a breakfast dish with eggs, savory dish with salad or snack/dessert with nutella, fruit or chocolate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We live in Montreal and are in need of an excellent crepe recipe - when in the land of the French...

This recipe sounds too easy to be true. My son cannot have corn - would potato starch or tapioca be a better replacement?

I've started a blog hop for allergies, asthma and eczema - parents or adults dealing with the condition. Please check out the page here and add a comment if you'd like to join. Thanks!

http://itchylittleworld.wordpress.com/blog-hop/

Jennifer

The Family Chef said...

I would try arrowroot first and then tapioca. I'm sorry I have not had a chance to test with the other flours. When you test, only make one recipes worth. Please let me know how it comes out.

Thanks for your blog info! Will check out soon.
-Amy